Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To Facebook or not to Facebook?

                                                  
We all love Facebook and what is a day without updating our status. How work is going? Do we love our clients, patients, boss etc? But how much is too much on Facebook? My recent research shows that there have been employees fired due to what they posted on FB.  It might seem completely crazy, it did to me, to know that what you posted can get you fired. So I did a little more research, and I am glad I did. Various reasons have gotten these employees fired but the root seems to be postings on FB. The one that caught my eyes the most was a teacher that went on vacation and took pictures of herself having a few drinks. When the word or pictures got back to the principal she was fired for being inappropriate. To read her full story please go to http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/ashley-payne-former-teacher-fired-facebook-pictures-2515440.html. As crazy as it seems to me, isn't it crazier to mix business and personal? Which one of your co-workers is really friend? Is your boss your friend? There is a very thin margin between work friends and friends out side of work. The thing I find mind blowing, is that I would consider it very unfair to get fired form your status, but it is apparently very legal to fire you because of your status. The advice I found is very simple, privacy and exclusivity. Think before you post, act as if the entire world can read your status and be careful. When it comes to social networking sites like FB and Twitter, use extra caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment