Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Napping, is it more than just a past time?

Remember the days when we used to take daily naps? What happened to those days?  As we grow older they tell us we shouldn't nap, mainly because napping is for children. So imagine my amazement when I run into research saying that napping is more than just a past time. Studies at Harvard Medical School show that a 45 minute nap improves learning and memory. To my surprise taking a nap, as well as having a good nights sleep, may actually help us keep things in our long term memory. And here I thought I was forgetful, it's really just the need of a nap. It is also suggested by researchers that naps are exceedingly effective in clearing our minds so we can fill them up again. This was all so shocking to me, which led me to think my overall question to all this research, when we fell asleep in class did we learn more than when we were actually awake and "daydreaming"?


No comments:

Post a Comment